The Oklahoman and NewsOK.com win first overall from Associated Press
The Oklahoman won first place in general excellence and NewsOK.com won best website in the 2010 Associated Press/Oklahoma News Executives competition.
The Oklahoman won first place in general excellence and NewsOK.com won best website in the 2010 Associated Press/Oklahoma News Executives competition Saturday in Oklahoma City.
AT A GLANCE
The Oklahoman competed in Division A, which includes the state's largest newspapers in terms of circulation.
The sweepstakes awards, reserved for the entries judged the best overall in their respective divisions, went to The Oklahoman's Sonya Colberg, Paul Monies, Vallery Brown, and Ann Kelley and the Tulsa World's Ginnie Graham, Gavin Off and Michael Overall for their collaborative effort on an investigation of Oklahoma's group homes.
The Oklahoman's John Clanton won the photo sweepstakes award for the large newspaper division with his “Tornado Damage” photos.
The Oklahoman and NewsOK.com won 21 individual first-place honors and 48 total individual awards.
Eight staff members won multiple first-place awards. They are staff writers Colberg, Monies, Brown, John Estus and Robert Medley and
“Being recognized by our industry peers is a proud moment for all of us,” said Kelly Dyer Fry, vice president of the News and Information Center for OPUBCO Communications Group.
“We work every day to bring quality news to our readers. These awards tell us job well done.”
The contest attracted 700 entries from Oklahoma newspapers that are members of The Associated Press.
The contest covered the 2010 calendar year.
First place winners
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13135OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7091Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6692Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6620Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5959Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5205Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5081Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers