Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
It may have been the first time that The Oklahoman has ever placed better than an honorable mention in the Southern Newspaper Publishers Association contest. The entry was for the multimedia coverage of this year's ice storm and tornado outbreak. Here is what one judge wrote about our weather coverage: "To fully appreciate this entry, you have to appreciate how Oklahoma City sits at the crossroads of bad weather events in North America: killer tornadoes, destructive winds, blizzards, deluges, dry spells and dust storms. The weather affects everyone, gets everyone talking, and it's important breaking news. With all sorts of multimedia tools at its disposal – from live dashboard cams to Twitter – how could The Oklahoman cover weather events with any less? The answer: It can't.” Another judge wrote: "The weather chat is a great use of Cover it Live. And the live video helps people see what road conditions are like in real time. This is a great use of online media to cover breaking news. Sometimes, online gadgets get used at the expense of the story, but here they only complement and enhance it. And you’ve also got a more involved project on the Lone Grove tornadoes, great!” Honorable mentions also went to Ken Raymond in "Best Local Story" for his "Life is Real" project stories, Chris Landsberger in "Sports Photography" for the photo of OU quarterback Sam Bradford's flip and "Best Front Page Design" for the March 8, 2009 edition (Devon tower).
The Oklahoman/NewsOK honored four times in annual SNPA contests!
The Oklahoman/NewsOK.com received a third in "Best Use of Multimedia" for our weather coverage and three honorable mentions in the annual SNPA Better Newspaper and Photo of the Year contests.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 24523Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15852Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10645Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9696Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9156Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8753Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8578Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena