Thibodeau: Don't blame slide on Rose speculation
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Derrick Rose stood chatting with coach Tom Thibodeau for several minutes Wednesday after practice. Then, the Chicago Bulls' superstar worked on his jumper.
When he'll suit up in a game remains anyone's guess, and just for the record, Thibodeau insisted they weren't discussing a return against Philadelphia on Thursday.
"Nope," he said with a grin. "Just talking about basketball."
Everyone else, it seems, is talking about Rose.
Thibodeau wanted to make one thing clear: Don't blame the Bulls' recent slide on the speculation surrounding the star point guard's possible return from knee surgery.
"Hey, we knew going in what the circumstances were going to be this year," Thibodeau said. "There was no timetable. There was no date where we were saying, 'OK, he's going to be back this date.' It's when he's ready, and we knew that going in. We can't allow that to be an excuse for us not getting the job done. We got to get the job done. We've shown that we're capable and obviously capable of playing better than we have been recently."
The Bulls (32-25) are coming off a loss Tuesday to a Cleveland team that was missing star Kyrie Irving, and have dropped seven of 10 heading into their game with the struggling 76ers. They've been blown out by Denver, Miami and Oklahoma City and failed to hit the 70-point mark twice during this stretch. They've dealt with injuries, too, with Kirk Hinrich missing time because of an elbow problem and Taj Gibson expected to be sidelined about two weeks because of a sprained left knee.
Then, there's Rose.
His status has been the big question hanging over the team ever since he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in last year's playoff opener against the 76ers, an injury that contributed to the top-seeded Bulls being ousted in the first round.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 83313Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 56374Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33323Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23846Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 23231Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8483Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8265Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters