Thomas scores 19 to lead Houston over TCU 54-48
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Houston's TaShawn Thomas led a dominate performance in the paint with 19 points and 12 rebounds as the Cougars defeated TCU 54-48 on Tuesday night.
The Cougars (6-2) nearly doubled up on the Horned Frogs (6-3) in the paint, outscoring TCU 32-18.
The Horned Frogs kept the nation's 19th-best scoring offense in check, but they couldn't keep up themselves. TCU was the third-best team in the NCAA in scoring defense going into the game, giving up just 52.6 points per game.
Houston, which came into the game averaging 81 points per game — 19th-best in the NCAA — was held to its season low in points. But TCU shot just 33.3 percent, including 5 of 18 from 3-point range and 5 of 13 from the foul line.
Joseph Young added 12 points for the Cougars, snapping a two-game losing streak.
Kyan Anderson led TCU with 20 points. Adrick McKinney scored 10 and had 20 rebounds.
The Horned Frogs were playing catch-up from the get-go after starting the game 0 for 9 from the field. TCU didn't score for the first 6 1/2 minutes until McKinney hit one of two free throw attempts to make it 10-1 Houston. TCU hit its first field goal at the 12:08 mark when Nate Butler Lind knocked down a jumper, but the Cougars were already up 12-3 at that point.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 18732Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 15952Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10745How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2638Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say