Thomas' shot ends Kings' skid, top Wizards 96-94
"I wanted to try something different. ... We didn't have anybody that could guard him," Wittman said.
Okafor's jumper with 2:26 to play tied the game at 88, and Thomas made 1 of 2 free throws with 2:14 remaining to start a series of back-and-forth, one-point leads that finally ended when Tyreke Evans made a pair from the line to put Sacramento ahead 93-90 with 19.6 seconds remaining.
Wall's layup pulled the Wizards within one with 12.6 to go, and Evans made 1 of 2 free throws with 11.7 remaining to make the score 94-92.
Webster then tied the game, giving the Kings the chance to set up the winning shot for Thomas, one that deflated a Wizards team that has only recently become accustomed to winning at home.
Perhaps the most glaring statistic for Washington: 20 turnovers to go with 20 assists.
"I think we just got in a mind-state in a certain point of that game," Webster said, "where we just kind of felt like, 'Oh, we can outscore these guys.' ... We let them get the best of us, and we can't let them impede on our poise. And we did."
Notes: The Kings had been plagued by turnovers during their losing streak — averaging 21 over their previous three games — but they committed only 11 against the Wizards. ... Washington rookie G Bradley Beal, who has been bothered by a sore right wrist, played only three minutes in the fourth quarter and finished with six points on 2-for-6 shooting. Beal hurt the wrist against Denver on Jan. 18. X-rays have been negative. ... Kings C DeMarcus Cousins, who scored a season-low three points in a loss at Denver on Saturday, didn't play the fourth quarter Monday and finished with 12 points. ... Sacramento F John Salmons played the entire first quarter, then left with a stomach virus and did not return.
Follow Joseph White on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JGWhiteAP
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad