It was a cool Sunday morning at the Myriad Gardens in downtown Oklahoma City as thousands sported pink for the 20th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
“I feel great. It's been great today; very uplifting,” said Sheryl Dellinger, 36, of Oklahoma City.
Dellinger was diagnosed with breast cancer in June and said it has been an emotional time since her diagnosis, but on Sunday, she was all smiles. About 105 family members, friends and co-workers joined Dellinger's team to walk the charity 5k Sunday.
About 12,000 people participated in this year's race which relocated from the Bricktown ballpark to the race's original location at the Myriad Gardens, said Lorna Palmer, executive director for the Central and Western Oklahoma affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
“It was a beautiful and inspiring day as it is every year. This is our 20th annual one and our first eight races were here at the (Myriad) Gardens then we moved to the ballpark and we thought that it would be a great year to come back and do it where it all began,” Palmer said.
Palmer said 75 percent of all funds will stay in Oklahoma to fund breast cancer education, screenings, mammograms and treatment programs, while the other 25 percent will fund national breast cancer research.
The Susan G. Komen organization has invested more $10 million into the communities the Central and Western Oklahoma affiliate serves since 1994, Palmer said.
Breast cancer is the second-leading cause of cancer death in women behind lung cancer. It is estimated that there will be 40,030 breast cancer deaths in 2013 — 39,620 women and 410 men, according to the American Cancer Society.