Three lawmakers who died in the past year are among those now having sections of state highways named after them.
Gov. Mary Fallin on Tuesday signed House Bill 3108, which honors several deceased former lawmakers and law officers. The measure takes effect immediately.
Among those honored is former U.S. Border Patrol Chief Donald R. Coppock. He was born and raised in Cherokee, joined the Border Patrol in 1941 and served as chief for 14 years until he retired in 1973. Coppock died in September at the age of 100.
HB 3108 designates a portion of State Highway 11 northeast of Cherokee between its junctions with U.S. 64 and State Highway 38 as the U.S. Border Patrol Chief Donald R. Coppock Memorial Highway.
Three members of the Legislature who died in the past year also had parts of roadways named after them.
The section of SH 11 between the junction of SH 11 and U.S. 77 extending east to Kaw City will be called the Sen. David Myers Memorial Highway. Myers, from Ponca City, died in November.
A portion of U.S. 70 from Broken Bow extending south to Idabel will be called the Rep. Rusty Farley Memorial Highway. Farley, from Haworth, died in July.
A section of U.S. 169 from the junction of U.S. 169 and State Highway 51 extending north to the junction of U.S. 169 and Interstate 44 in Tulsa will be named the Rep. Sue Tibbs Memorial Highway. Tibbs, from Tulsa, died in April.
Additional roadways or bridges renamed are:
• Part of State Highway 58 from the junction of SH 58 and State Highway 45 extending north to the junction of SH 58 and U.S. 64 is named the Coach Ray Troutt Memorial Highway.
• The bridge crossing Grand Lake on U.S. 59 in Delaware County between Copeland and Grove is named the Veldo M. Goins Memorial Bridge.
• Part of U.S. 75 from the junction of U.S. 75 and U.S. 412 extending south to the junction of U.S. 75 and U.S. 64 is named the Paul Harvey Memorial Expressway.
• The bridge crossing State Highway 50 north of Freedom near the intersection of SH 50 and U.S. 64 is named the Wesley and Maxine Nixon Bridge.
• Part of State Highway 125 from the junction of SH 125 and State Highway 85A extending south to where SH 125 terminates on Monkey Island is named the Charles Davis Memorial Highway.