Thunder All-Stars Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook shine in Game 1 win
Kevin Durant clapped his hands, then grabbed Russell Westbrook and pulled him into a hug.
Fitting that they were together as the final buzzer sounded Sunday night at the Oklahoma City Arena.
Videoview all videos
Apr 18Jenni Carlson and Berry Tramel discuss the missed...
Apr 18Berry Tramel and Jenni Carlson dissect OKC's 107-103 win...
Apr 18Kevin Durant scored a playoff career-high 41 points, as...
Photoview all 125 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Together, they were the difference in Game 1 of this first-round Western Conference series.
Thunder 107, Nuggets 103.
The Thunder All-Stars combined to score 72 points, including all the points that the team scored in the final seven-plus minutes of the game.
“The ball was falling for them,” Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. “Both of them played well. Give them credit.”
Nuggets coach George Karl did.
“The guys fought,” he said of his players. “They did everything we asked them to do.”
And still, Durant and Westbrook had their way against the Nuggets.
Westbrook came up big early, scoring 21 of his 31 points in the first half. That included a statement dunk right before halftime that cut a Nuggets deficit that at point had been 13 points to only one point.
Durant did most of his damage after halftime. He scored 25 of his 41 points in the second half on 9-of-13 shooting.
Yet, both were at their best when it counted most. Together, Durant and Westbrook scored the Thunder's final 15 points.
“All we could do as an organization, as a team was come out and take Game 1,” Westbrook said. “Now, we've got Game 2.”
The first-round series resumes Wednesday night in Oklahoma City.
News Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit