The Peake was at its playoff best Saturday night — and it was only Game 1.
Here are some of the sights and sounds:
SEEN AND HEARD
* A crowd estimated at 2,500 gathered on Reno Avenue outside the arena and watched the game on the massive LED screen on the northwest corner of the building. That screen's a new feature this season, and it looks like a budding postseason watching spot.
* Former Oklahoma football players and current Tampa Bay Buccaneers Gerald McCoy and Mossis Madu sat courtside. Davin Joseph, their teammate at both OU and Tampa Bay, was spotted, too. All were in town for Tommie Harris's charity weekend.
* Sitting down the row from Madu was a guy who was an even better player at Norman High, former Sooner quarterback Jay Jimerson.
* Also in the house: former Oklahoma State standout and Thunder player Desmond Mason and Dallas owner Mark Cuban.
* Best sign of the night: “HEY, JAMES” on the left side. On the right side? A peace sign crossed out.
* Remember when Kevin Durant's mom, Wanda Pratt, danced during the playoffs last year? Well, she was back at it Saturday night, grooving this time to the “Hey!” song.
Highlights from the live game chat on NewsOK.com:
9:12 p.m.: Comment from TEN: Following a very similar script to what we've seen the last month ... unfortunately we haven't beaten a playoff team in a month.
9:26 p.m.: Comment from Beat the Mavs: I hope KD wears his backpack at the postgame press conference.
9:32 p.m.: Comment from Mike Sherman: Attention Thunder: Tyson Chandler plays for the Knicks. You are now free to drive the lane.
9:39 p.m.: Comment from Gina Mizell: See what happens when you go in the pain?!
9:39 p.m.: Comment from Gina Mizell: *paint
9:40 p.m.: Comment from Wheatmeister: Well, depending on how the play ends up, pain may be correct, too ...
11:17 p.m.: Comment from TEN: he ain't gonna miss ... he's dirk
11:18 p.m.: Comment from ThunderSonics: OK, positive thoughts. We will win. We will win.
11:19 p.m.: Comment from Thunder Rolls: KD rules!!!!
11:20 p.m.: Comment from teen: WHAT A GAME
TWEET IT UP
What the Twitter World had to say about Game 1:
From @Jerry Rice, legendary NFL wide receiver: “It should be a good series. Pulling for Thunder!”
From @SekouSmithNBA, NBA.com writer: “The Mavericks have too many crafty old cats on this team for the Thunder to break ranks and try and freelance. Stick to the script or else.”
From @whitneyhand25, Oklahoma women's basketball player and DFW native: “Glad the Mavs are playing the Thunder so I don't have to cheer against either of them after this series! #lovethemboth but #gomavs”
VOICE OF THE FAN
Thunder fans, you know that you are a big part of the story in Oklahoma City.
So, do you have a story to add to the narrative? We want to know about it. Go to the Thunder page on NewsOK.com and click on “My Playoff Story.”