Thunder guard Russell Westbrook injured in U.S. Olympic win
Thunder guard Russell Westbrook left Team USA's semifinal game against Argentina in Olympic play on Friday, coming out of the game late in the fourth quarter due to injury.
NewsOK Related Articles
USA Basketball officials listed Westbrook's injury as a mild ankle sprain and said his status for Sunday's gold medal game against Spain is uncertain.
Westbrook sustained the injury while chasing Argentina forward Marcos Mata on a screen. As Mata curled toward the basket at the free-throw line, the trailing Westbrook stepped on the back of Mata's foot and rolled his right ankle.
Westbrook had just re-entered the game prior to a free throw by Tyson Chandler to complete a three-point play attempt. The U.S. team was ahead 98-72 with 3:54 when Westbrook returned.
Ten seconds later, Westbrook collided with Mata and immediately crashed to the court. As play continued, Westbrook picked himself up and limped straight toward the Team USA bench. Game officials then stopped play upon seeing Westbrook's injury, and a hobbled Westbrook jogged past the bench and directly to the locker room with the team's medical staff trailing behind and 3:38 remaining in the game.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit