Thunder has marathon opening practice
When the Thunder franchise began in 2008, extra time was needed for coach Scott Brooks and his staff to instruct players on everything from simple drills to the complexities of the shell defense.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
With the core of the team and staff having been together for several seasons now, less time is wasted on repetitive instruction. As a result, the Thunder tentatively has not scheduled any two-a-day workouts during the preseason.
On Tuesday, the Thunder's first practice of the season lasted two hours, 45 minutes — roughly twice as long as a routine practice during the season.
“It was a little long, but it was great,” Brooks said. “Partly because we know what we do, and if we can get it all done in 2½ hours or two hours, 15 minutes, I think that's good enough.”
Brooks said teams are allowed six two-a-day practices in the first 13 days of camp. “We always have the option to come back and revisit that,” Brooks said of doubling daily workouts.
“It's an advantage for us to be able to come in and not have to go over every single thing in every drill,” said veteran forward Nick Collison, who is starting his 10th season with the franchise. “Early in my career, we had a lot of changeover. Seemed like we had a new coach every year, new players. So each time you have to start so much slower. Now, we jump right in.”
Another reason for less practice time is conditioning has become a year-round commitment from players.
“Today, conditioning wasn't a factor,” Brooks said. “Execution for the first day I thought was really good. A lot to do with it is we've been together for a while now. They came back in great shape. That always has been the case here.”
There are 19 players on OKC's training camp roster, which includes seven newcomers in Perry Jones, Hasheem Thabeet, Daniel Orton, Hollis Thompson, DeAndre Liggins, Walker Russell and Andy Rautins.
“We're going to go at a pace that at times is going to be a little uncomfortable for them,” Brooks said of the new arrivals. “They're going to have to pick it up quick because we move on to the next thing. The new guys did a good job. They're a very competitive group.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates