Thunder mania spreads in Oklahoma City, retailers offer promotions to fans
In The Raw Sushi has created Thunder themed menu items. Balliets and Walden Cleaners also have special promotions.
They don't sell Thunder T-shirts or jerseys or hats, but several metro area retailers are finding creative ways for customers to express their love for the city's NBA team while keeping cash registers ringing.
Discounts and promotions are just the tip of the iceberg. Some businesses are crafting special products named after Thunder players or giving fans a free reason to walk in the door.
At In The Raw Sushi in Bricktown, fans can nosh on Durantula rolls and toast the team with an Absolute Thunder. Other Thunder-themed menu items include Rumble rolls, Thunder rolls and Iblocka rolls — each a culinary creation of fish, steak or shrimp, veggies and sauce rolled with sushi rice. Bartenders serve plenty of Absolute Thunder drinks — a blue and orange combination of vodka and mixers — and Thunder Up cocktails before and during games.
“This playoff series has been really great for business,” said Anna Mains, managing partner. When there's a Thunder game downtown, the eatery's sales are equivalent to a Friday or Saturday night, even if it's Monday, she said.
More menu items
More Thunder-themed menu items will be determined by the restaurant's Facebook and Twitter followers during the next round of playoffs.
After the Thunder's star player, Kevin Durant, clinched his third-straight NBA scoring title last week, Balliets held a flash sale, offering customers a discount of 28 percent — Durant's scoring average.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 14558OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11841Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8216Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6574Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6065Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5464Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4374Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?