Thunder notebook: Doc Rivers regrets timing of Kendrick Perkins trade
Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers said Monday he regrets trading away center Kendrick Perkins during the season.
Videoview all videos
May 16Less than 24 hours after finishing off the Grizzlies in a...
May 16Berry Tramel and Jenni Carlson discuss the relationship...
May 16Dallas center Tyson Chandler was a member of the Thunder...
May 15Kevin Durant scored 39 points, as OKC prevailed in Game...
May 15Darnell Mayberry and Jenni Carlson explore some of the...
Photoview all 78 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
"I would wait until after the year was over. I'll put it that way," Rivers told Boston sports radio WEEI (850 AM).
On Feb. 24, the Celtics traded Perkins and guard Nate Robinson to the Oklahoma City Thunder for forward Jeff Green, center Nenad Krstic and a protected future first-round draft pick.
"I do think Jeff Green has a chance to be a starter for us in the future and a hell of a basketball player, and Krstic can help, but making that trade at the time we made that trade, that made it very tough for us," Rivers said.
Boston finished as the No. 3 playoff seed in the Eastern Conference and was eliminated in the second round 4-1 by the Miami Heat. Perkins' departure affected the club's offense more than Rivers and Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge anticipated.
"Well, it was more not that the trust went away, the know-how went away, the continuity went away," Rivers said. "That's what the trade affected more than anything. Obviously, (Perkins) was great to our team and all of that, but it was more that you had new guys playing different positions and you had a floor guy who could literally reach back into a playbook and throw out something that was three or four years old and they all knew it, when Perk was there.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 37007Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32519Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 27986Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 8311Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6200OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3643College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3643Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?