Thunder notebook: OKC peaking with playoffs looming
Only 10 games will be left on the Thunder's regular season schedule following Sunday's matchup with Portland. Oklahoma City enters the game having won 11 of its past 13, with its last two losses coming by a combined eight points.
Videoview all videos
Mar 25Darnell Mayberry and John Rohde break down OKC's 111-103...
Mar 24What's ahead in the next few weeks of the regular season.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“I feel like we're playing great basketball right now,” said point guard Eric Maynor. “We just got to keep it up.”
The chief goal now for the Thunder is to now tighten up things before postseason play.
The Thunder's playoff seeding has essentially been set. With a four-game lead over Denver, it would take a near choke job for the Thunder to fall out of the fourth seed, even with two games remaining against the Nuggets.
At this point, the Thunder is more focused on enhancing chemistry with the three players it acquired at the trading deadline, Kendrick Perkins, Nazr Mohammed and Nate Robinson. The Thunder is 11-4 since the two trades but 11-2 in games in which the new additions have played and 5-1 with Perkins as a starter.
“We're definitely starting to figure out one another,” said Mohammed. “But we still got a ways to go.
“We're still trying to improve our defense. We're definitely trying to improve our half-court execution because that's what playoff basketball is about. The open court, fast break points, we're going to get those. But we're trying to improve in other areas.”
PERKINS FOCUSED ON IMPROVING FREE THROWS
After starting his Thunder career 5-for-5 from the foul line, Perkins, a career 60-percent free throw shooter, has gone 2-for-11 from the stripe. Perkins missed five of six foul shots Friday against Minnesota, including one air-ball on an attempt in the third quarter.
“It's more in your head. You see a few go down and you get comfortable,” Perkins said. “I missed one (early against the Wolves) and I was messed up ever since then. It happens.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister