Thunder notebook: Scott Brooks can relate to Eric Maynor
Oklahoma City's coach suffered a severe knee injury as an NBA player. He can relate to Maynor, who will miss the remainder of the season.
Thunder coach Scott Brooks knows what Eric Maynor is going through in so many ways.
Brooks was a backup point guard throughout his 10-year NBA career. He also suffered a serious knee injury.
Videoview all videos
Jan 8Nick Collison scored 10 of his 12 points in the 2nd...
Jan 9Darnell Mayberry and John Rohde break down OKC's easy win...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Midway through the fourth quarter in a victory at Houston on Saturday night, Maynor suffered a season-ending injury to his right anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). Brooks' career-ending injury was to a medial collateral ligament.
“One of the things I know about Eric is he's a tough kid,” Brooks said. “That backup point guard spot is a very challenging spot because you don't get a lot of minutes. When things go well, you get a little credit and when things go bad, you get all the blame. I played it (backup point guard) for a lot years, and Eric had the mental toughness to go through all that. He's playing behind a really good point guard.
“Eric's a smart player. He understands that position. He's a really, really good player.”
Brooks expressed confidence Maynor will return for the 2012-13 season.
“He will win,” Brooks said. “He will get back.”
In the second quarter of Sunday night's game against the San Antonio Spurs, Thunder center Kendrick Perkins and the Spurs' DeJuan Blair were whistled for double-technical fouls.
Perkins now has three technicals on the season. Because of the shortened schedule, this year's limit is 13 before a one-game suspension rather than the usual 16.
Here is the NBA's fine breakdown: Technicals 1-4 – $2,000 fine each; technicals 5-8 – $3,000 fine each; technicals 9-12 – $4,000 fine each (with a warning letter sent when the violator reaches his 10th technical); technical No. 13 – $5,000 fine, plus one game suspension; each additional technical – $5,000 fine each; two additional technicals (15, 17, 19, etc.) – $5,000 fine, plus one-game suspension.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit