Thunder roll to 124-94 win over Rockets
All but five of Durant's 16 first-half points came in that stretch.
The Rockets couldn't do anything right during that time, committing four turnovers and missing six shots.
"I told the guys there's a flow in the game and you've got to recognize that flow sometimes and you've got to know when it's time to make the extra pass, when it's time to be extra careful with the ball," Houston coach Kevin McHale said.
Houston had cut its 18-point halftime deficit to 13 early in the third quarter before it hit another scoring drought, going more than 5 minutes without a field goal.
Harden made one free throw during that span as the Thunder added 17 points to pad the lead to 87-58.
The Thunder had a season-high 16 steals to help in the win.
Houston had five shots blocked in that stretch. The problems started when Kendrick Perkins blocked two layups by Chandler Parsons 3 seconds apart. Durant blocked a jump shot by Harden the next time down the court and Thabo Sefolosha blocked a layup by Jeremy Lin about a minute later. The last one was also by Perkins, on a jump shot by Omer Asik.
Martin made two 3-pointers in less than a minute near the end of the first quarter to give the Thunder a 31-26 lead entering the second.
The Thunder were up by three points in the second quarter before using a 9-3 run, capped by a 3-pointer from Martin, to extend the lead to 44-35 about 7 minutes before halftime.
NOTES: Royce White, the 16th overall pick in the June draft, was assigned to Houston's D-League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. White has spent most of the season on Houston's inactive list while he and the team figure out how to handle his anxiety disorder and overall mental health. The move looks to be a positive step in White's return to the court. ... Harden has scored 20 or more points in a career-high 12 straight games. ... Houston's Patrick Patterson returned after missing the last seven games with a bone bruise in his right foot. He had two points and two rebounds in just more than 10 minutes. ... Houston G Toney Douglas tied a career high with five steals.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M