Thunder scout David Vanterpool joins Portland Trail Blazers' coaching staff
Former Oklahoma standout Terry Stotts, now the Blazers' head coach, adds three assistants.
PORTLAND, Ore. — Portland Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts, who played at the University of Oklahoma, has announced three additions to his coach staff with the hirings of Jay Triano, David Vanterpool and Kim Hughes.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Vanterpool has spent the past two seasons as a pro scout with the Oklahoma City Thunder. He played briefly for the Washington Wizards in the 2000-01 season going abroad to play and coach with CSKA Moscow.
Vanterpool is another major defection from the Thunder's staff this summer. Former assistant general manager Rob Hennigan also left to become Orlando's general manager.
Triano was head coach of the Toronto Raptors for three seasons before becoming the team's vice president of pro scouting last season. Hughes served as an assistant coach with the Los Angeles Clippers from 2003-10. He finished the final 33 games of the 2009-10 season as interim head coach. He has also worked for the Denver Nuggets and Milwaukee Bucks.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11434Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11103Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9903Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8455Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4574Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4269Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4107OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M