Thunder-Spurs: Oklahoma City, San Antonio share many similarities
From freeways to Air Force bases to the downtown canals, the two cities have much in common. The pro sports scene is also similar: AHL hockey, minor league baseball and an NBA franchise.
SAN ANTONIO — This Texas tourist mecca rightfully is called one of America's most unique cities. A distinction that's never been afforded Oklahoma City.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But many are the similarities between the homes of the NBA's Western Conference finalists.
Let us count the ways.
* Downtown water. The Bricktown Canal is an absolute knockoff of San Antonio's Riverwalk.
But if you're going to steal an idea, steal a good one. And OKC did.
From the gondolas tours to the waterside restaurants, the Canal has been a great addition to the Oklahoma City landscape, just as the Riverwalk is a San Antone institution.
* Sacred memorials. The list is short of must-see American tributes to the fallen among us. Pearl Harbor. Ground Zero. Arlington National Cemetery. Gettysburg. The Vietnam Memorial.
San Antonio and Oklahoma City are on the list.
The Alamo remains a sobering experience for all who enter its doors, 176 years after becoming the rally cry in the Texas Revolution.
The Oklahoma City National Memorial is not quite as venerable; it's been 17 years since the bombing of the Murrah Building. But the Oklahoma City Memorial serenely captures the spirit of that dark day and the hope that sprang from it.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 12879Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10775OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6990Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5542Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5510Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5081Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4971OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins