Share “Thunder-Spurs: The Peake was louder than...”

Thunder-Spurs: The Peake was louder than it's ever been

OKC coach Scott Brooks rubbed both temples and softly said: ‘Oh. My. God.'
by Berry Tramel and Ryan Aber and Darnell Mayberry Published: June 6, 2012


With 14.6 seconds left in Game 6 on Wednesday night and Chesapeake Energy Arena louder than it's ever been since opening its doors a decade ago, it appeared as though Thunder coach Scott Brooks was trying to protect his ears in the deafening din.

As his team put the finishing touches on a 107-99 victory to clinch the Western Conference championship, Brooks actually was gently rubbing both temples to try and calm his nerves.

While he did so, the 46-year-old coach said softly and slowly: “Oh. My. God.”


A limited number of single-game tickets for the first two games of the NBA Finals will go on sale at 10 a.m. Saturday at

The series will begin Tuesday at the Chesapeake Energy Arena at 8 p.m. Game 2 will be played Thursday in Oklahoma City before the series moves to either Miami or Boston for Game 3.

Season ticket holders will be able to print their tickets online beginning Friday.


Kevin Durant was asked at his team's shootaround Wednesday morning if Game 6, a closeout game in this Western Conference Finals, was the biggest game of his life.

Before answering, the Thunder star sighed.

“You're putting a lot of pressure on me, man,” Durant said, smiling. “You could say that.

“As a kid, you dream about playing in big, big games like this. Hopefully, we come out there and do a good job.”

Eighty percent of the Thunder's roster has never been in this position. For those 12 guys, this is the biggest game of their lives. Only Derek Fisher, Kendrick Perkins and Nazr Mohammed have appeared in the NBA Finals. For the rest, this is foreign territory.

“We just got to go out there with the mindset that every possession is important, like if we lose this game it's life or death,” Durant said. “That's the type of approach we need to take.”


With 8:40 remaining and the tide continuing to turn toward the Thunder, Oklahoma City got a scare when James Harden was fouled by Manu Ginobili on a break.

Ginobili caught Harden across the nose from behind as Harden tried to convert on the pass from Westbrook.

Harden, who missed the final two games of the regular season with a concussion after being fouled by the Lakers' Metta World Peace, eventually was able to take his free throws.

Harden missed the first, leaving it short, but made the second.


After hitting a 3-pointer with 4:22 left in the third to put San Antonio up 74-66, Stephen Jackson was called for a technical foul, helping keep a Thunder rally alive.

Continue reading this story on the...

by Berry Tramel
Berry Tramel, a lifelong Oklahoman, sports fan and newspaper reader, joined The Oklahoman in 1991 and has served as beat writer, assistant sports editor, sports editor and columnist. Tramel grew up reading four daily newspapers — The Oklahoman,...
+ show more

by Ryan Aber
OU Athletics Reporter
Ryan Aber has worked for The Oklahoman since 2006, covering high schools, the Oklahoma City RedHawks, the Oklahoma City Barons and OU football recruiting. An Oklahoma City native, Aber graduated from Northeastern State. Before joining The...
+ show more

by Darnell Mayberry
OKC Thunder Senior Reporter
Darnell Mayberry grew up in Langston, Okla. and is now in his third stint in the Sooner state. After a year and a half at Bishop McGuinness High, he finished his prep years in Falls Church, Va., before graduating from Norfolk State University in...
+ show more


  1. 1
    Explosions rock north Tulsa residential area
  2. 2
    Claremore hospital fires doctor who authorities say threatened officer after DUI arrest
  3. 3
    Former Arrow Trucking CEO sentenced to 7.5 years in prison
  4. 4
    George Kaiser Family Foundation donates $10 million in land in Tulsa
  5. 5
    Tom Petty Reveals ‘90s-Era Heroin Addiction in New Biography
+ show more


× Trending thunder Article