Thunder tops Bobcats in preseason game
Serge Ibaka shows his improved all-around game as Thunder wins its first preseason home game.
Videoview all videos
Oct 17The Thunder beat the Charlotte Bobcats 120-98 Tuesday...
Photoview all 23 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Last year’s leader in blocked shots is every bit as committed to protecting the paint. When he wasn’t busy defending former Thunder center Byron Mullens (16 points on 4-for-10 shooting from behind the 3-point line) on the perimeter Tuesday, Ibaka challenged every Bobcats slasher that dared drive the lane.
But it’s Ibaka’s offensive game that is beginning to stand out.
Previously limited to getting baskets by running the floor and getting putbacks, Ibaka is now providing glimpses of how he might become an integral part of what, frankly, still will be an offensively challenged starting unit.
On several occasions in the past two games, Ibaka has found his way to the open spot on the floor and made himself a big target by flashing with his hands high and feet set. It helps that he’s as consistent as we remember with his midrange jumper and even looks to have extended his range.
Ibaka’s post game is growing as well. Working from the high post against Mullens on one second-half possession, Ibaka went into a sensational shimmy that created enough separation to turn and release an open jumper.
“That just takes time,” Maynor said. “Playing with each other for such a long time, you get more comfortable, and that’s what it looks like he’s out there doing.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims