Thunder tops Bobcats in preseason game
Serge Ibaka shows his improved all-around game as Thunder wins its first preseason home game.
On the day he announced his massive contract extension that would keep him in Oklahoma City through 2017, Serge Ibaka insisted that the megadeal didn’t add any pressure to what already is on his plate.
Videoview all videos
Oct 17The Thunder beat the Charlotte Bobcats 120-98 Tuesday...
Photoview all 23 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“I know my focus,” Ibaka said on September 10, rejecting the notion that a four-year, $50 million deal, and the expectations that accompany it, in some way can supersize his stress. “No matter if I signed for $50 million, I have my objective.”
Or as his teammates suggest, what more is there to worry about?
“It’s over now,” said Eric Maynor, who is awaiting his own extension. “The only thing you got to do is play. You don’t really worry about what people say.”
So far, the Thunder’s starting power forward doesn’t appear affected at all.
Ibaka scored 16 points with a game-high 10 rebounds to lead the Thunder to a 120-98 win over Charlotte on Tuesday night in the preseason home opener for OKC.
Ibaka added two blocked shots and one assist while making seven of his 11 field-goal attempts in 28 minutes.
His five turnovers and five fouls notwithstanding, it was Ibaka’s second straight strong showing. After sitting out the exhibition opener with a mild quad injury, Ibaka scored 12 points with seven rebounds in just 18 minutes at Utah last Friday.
Just like he displayed against the Jazz last week, Ibaka on Tuesday played with greater confidence and control. The raw big man Thunder fans once knew seems to be disappearing by the day. He’s being replaced by a more polished player demonstrating a better understanding of fundamentals and heightened court awareness.
“It’s getting better,” Thunder coach Scott Brooks said of Ibaka’s awareness. “That is the natural progression of Serge. He’s improved in his ability to communicate with the guys, his ability to pick things up on the fly and his ability to play with his instincts. You see that every night.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena