Thunder's Scott Brooks won't repeat as All-Star coach
By the time next Sunday's games are completed, we will know who will coach their respective conferences in the 62nd NBA All-Star Game.
The coach with the best record in his conference through next Sunday's games will coach on Feb. 17 at the Toyota Center in Houston.
Videoview all videos
Jan 24The Thunder ends its road trip with a game against the...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
We already know the Thunder's Scott Brooks will not coach the Western Conference, even though his team currently owns the league's best record at 34-10, nor will Chicago's Tom Thibodeau coach the Eastern Conference.
Coaches are not permitted to coach in consecutive All-Star Games, and Brooks' team edged Thibodeau's 152-149 last year in Orlando.
All-Star coaches do not double-dip as NBA Coach of the Year in the same season as frequently as you might assume.
Since NBA Coach of the Year was first awarded in 1963, only 16 times has an All-Star coach been named Coach of the Year that same season (see chart).
Suffice to say, the NBA likes to spread the Coach of the Year honor around.
Of the 50 times Coach of the Year has been awarded, there have been 41 different winners.
There have been 34 one-time winners, including Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach, who already had won five world titles before the award even existed.
Pat Riley and Don Nelson lead the pack as three-time winners, while Hubie Brown, Bill Fitch, Gene Shue, Cotton Fitzsimmons and Gregg Popovich have each won twice.
Phil Jackson claimed 11 world championships, but only once was tabbed Coach of the Year (1996 with Chicago).
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 35659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 30844Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 14359Tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7518Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6442OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3625College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3531Student shot dead during botched home invasion