Tight inventory slows US pending home sales
More people are also moving out on their own after living with friends and relatives in the recession. That's driving a big gain in apartment construction and also pushing up rents.
Builders, meanwhile, started work on the most new homes in 4 Â½ years in December. Last year was the best year for residential construction 2008, just after the recession started.
In December, the index of contracts signed fell in the Northeast, South and West. But it ticked up in the Midwest. The supply of homes costing less than $100,000 was particularly tight in the West, the Realtors said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12675Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11502Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6315Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5431Finding Addyson â€“ One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 5078Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4467OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3964How to help tornado victims