Timeline of questionable activities
Timeline of questionable activities at the Oklahoma Education Department.
NewsOK Related Articles
• March: The state auditor releases a second state Education Department audit. This one allege that Garrett's administration used two undisclosed bank accounts as "slush funds" for drinks, food, entertainment and travel while hosting state education conferences. The audit says officials spent $2.3 million from these “off-book and unauthorized accounts” over a 10-year period, buying things like wine, beer kegs, a chocolate fountain and smoked salmon mousse in puff pastry. Garrett claimed the audit findings were a misunderstanding and that the attorney general had previously approved of the arrangement.
• March: The Oklahoman disclosed that Barresi's administration also had hosted an education conference in 2011 using private donations and payments solicited from vendors.
• April: The Oklahoman disclosed that more than $100,000 that went into what auditors had described as slush funds was solicited by state education officials from 31 companies that had no-bid contracts with the agency totaling tens of millions of dollars.
• October: The state auditor releases third state Education Department audit. This audit discloses Barresi's administration had committed similar transgressions to Garrett's administration by soliciting and depositing more than $200,000 into an unauthorized bank account, this one purportedly belonging to a private nonprofit organization whose board never met.
RANDY ELLIS, STAFF WRITER
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister