Tinker Federal Credit Union picks its teacher of the year
Jones High School teacher Justin Gerry wins award for his efforts at spreading financial literacy.
Tinker Federal Credit Union has named Jones High School Teacher Justin Gerry its Financial Empowerment Teacher of the Year.
Gerry was awarded a $500 prize and a plaque for winning the fourth installment of the credit union's award program. A $500 prize and a plaque also were awarded to Jones High School.
Gerry said many of his students initially think his financial literacy curriculum won't apply to them since they aren't yet adults.
“I enjoy watching them begin making intelligent connections and applying what they know. They definitely leave with more confidence to face the real world when they are more financially literate,” Gerry said.
“It's great to see the lightbulbs going off in their heads when they really grasp important financial concepts,” he said. “For example, we were discussing budgeting and the need to spend less than we earn. One of the students got the point and commented, ‘Mr. Gerry, maybe our politicians need to take your finance class and learn how to properly budget.'”
The contest was designed to acknowledge and reward educators who are making a difference by teaching financial literacy in the classroom. It was open to Oklahoma teachers who teach financial literacy to students in grades 7-12.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister