H: ° L: °,
Tlusty leads Hurricanes over Devils 4-2
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Jiri Tlusty scored the two goals in the third period and Cam Ward made 26 saves as the Carolina Hurricanes beat New Jersey 4-2 on Tuesday night, snapping the Devils' five-game winning streak.
Jussi Jokinen and Patrick Dwyer also scored for Carolina, which went 4-1-1 to conclude a six-game road trip.
With Carolina on the power play, Tlusty flipped a shot toward the net that bounced off Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador and over goalie Martin Brodeur at 7:25. Eric Stall picked up an assist, extending his point-scoring streak to 10 games.
Tlusty later added an empty-netter to seal the win.
Ilya Kovalchuk and Ryan Carter scored for the Eastern Conference-leading Devils, who lost in regulation for the first time at home this season (5-1-1). New Jersey had won seven straight at home against Carolina.
Third period heroics have become Tlusty's specialty.
On Monday, he scored two goals and four points in the third period to lead Carolina to 6-4 win over the New York Islanders.
The Hurricanes, the Southeast Division leaders, started the game with good energy, even though they played the night before on Long Island. Carolina used the kind of strong forechecking pressure that the Devils favor and took an early 8-3 shot advantage. Brodeur held his ground, fending off good scoring tries by Alexander Semin, Jeff Skinner and Joni Pitkanen.
The Devils broke through with the game's first goal at 15:59 as Kovalchuk drew a penalty and then scored the power-play goal — with an assist from the video replay.
Kovalchuk cranked a shot from the blue line that hit the back of the net and bounced back into play as the referees signaled no goal, believing the puck had hit the crossbar.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates