Tokyo governor critical of low Olympic support
TOKYO (AP) — Tokyo's governor has criticized citizens of the Japanese capital for their lack of support for the city's bid to host the 2020 Olympics.
The International Olympic Committee last week selected Tokyo, Madrid and Istanbul as finalists in the 2020 race. But an IOC poll found that only 47 percent of Tokyo residents support the bid, far below the rate of support enjoyed by the two other bidders.
Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara said: "When it comes to the Olympics, Tokyo citizens are spoiled."
The IOC poll showed 78 percent supported Madrid's effort while 73 percent are behind the Istanbul bid.
Tokyo hosted the 1964 Olympics and is bidding for a second consecutive time.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 24265Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15789Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10553Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9606Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9126Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8599Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8494Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena