Toni Young continues to improve; Cowgirls whip Pepperdine
STILLWATER — It appears Toni Young is growing up.
The sophomore was outstanding as Oklahoma State advanced in the WNIT on Wednesday night with an 81-74 basketball win over Pepperdine at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
Videoview all videos
Mar 17Toni Young had 34 points and 18 rebounds, as Oklahoma...
Photoview all 10 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Young finished with a career-high 34 points and grabbed 18 rebounds.
“She's a beast. Nobody can stop her,” OSU guard Lakyn Garrison said. “I tell her to take it to the rack every time.”
Young was 15 of 21 from the field, and her 18 rebounds was 12 more than any other player. At 6-foot-2, Young had the size advantage, but she often used her quickness to score against Pepperdine.
Young matched the potential she's shown all season with production against Pepperdine. Young has come on in the final games of her sophomore season, including strong outings against Missouri, Texas A&M and Oklahoma.
“I want her to be disappointed when she doesn't have a night like tonight,” coach Kurt Budke said. “And she's showing signs of that.”
OSU held the clear size advantage, scoring 42 of its 81 points in the paint. Young used her size and athleticism to get easy looks at the basket.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley