Top earners pay 37 percent of federal tax bill
President Barack Obama has said that America's top earners aren't paying their fair share of the federal tax bill. Quoting from the National Taxpayers Union 2009 data, those in the top 1 percent income level (above $343,927) paid 36.73 percent of total federal taxes. So the top 1 percent paid more than a third of federal taxes.
NewsOK Related Articles
Those in the top 10 percent of income ($112,124 and above) paid 70.47 percent of taxes. So 10 percent of Americans paid more than two-thirds of all federal taxes in 2009. This means that 90 percent of income-earning Americans, those of us not included in the top 10 percent of income earners, paid the balance, just 29 percent of all the federal taxes paid. How can the president keep a straight face when he says high-income people aren't paying their fair share of the taxes?
Obama does the American people an injustice by pitting us against each other — pitting those who are fortunate, whose circumstances enable them to have a good income, against those of us on the lower income and economic scale. His statements aren't supported by the facts. In the end, we're all in this together, rich and poor, healthy and ill, young and old.
This is our country and we'd better start acting like we know what the score is. Obama is betting that Americans don't know the truth — or don't care. Do you care?
John Kokalis, Weatherford
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 19791Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7602OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6827Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6472OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5877Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4499Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4468Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash