You can hear or see just about anything during an election campaign. Some of it might even be true.
What are some of the best (funniest, etc.) political signs along roads or on bumpers that you've seen or heard of?
I've seen some real beauties through the years, and I've been voting for more than 50 years. One of my favorites was a candidate's words back in the '60s, I think it was, that said, “You won't hear any promises from me. I promise.”
Like I said, Andy. Some of it might even be true. That one wasn't, obviously.
There are those signs and ads you just can't forget. Maybe it's a bumper sticker or a billboard. It might be an ad you read in the newspaper, or on TV, or on the Internet. It just sticks with you, and that's exactly why it was done.
Here are some examples (bumper stickers and billboards mostly). Sometimes it's difficult to stay on the road when you're laughing so hard at some of what you see:
• So who do you believe? (With a sign showing a two-faced candidate in a Southern state.)
• Are you better off than you were 4 trillion dollars ago?
• Four more years, trillions more tears. (Showing a crying man.)
• You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.
• Miss me yet? (With photo of a former president.)
• Sorry if you did, but I DIDN'T waste my vote. (With photo of woman circled and a diagonal line through it, a Western state.)
• If (candidate's name here) is the answer, how stupid was the question?
• Am I undecided? Well, yes and no.
• Enjoying your drive on this road? Thank (incumbent). (Billboard in the Midwest.)
• In America, anyone can be president. That's one of the risks you take.
• Stop repeat offenders. Don't re-elect them.
• We're all in this together. Don't forget to vote.
It helps to have a sense of humor.
By the way ...
If this applies to you, please read it carefully: “The Department of Transportation wants to remind candidates and campaign volunteers to avoid embarrassment and be safe by observing the state law by not placing campaign signs in state rights of way or on overpasses.”
Not only is it unsightly, it's illegal and it's dangerous. No one needs to vote on this. It's already decided.
Enjoy your week and drive safely.