If you need to travel in the vicinity of Kelley Avenue and Hefner Road these days, be prepared. There is a lot of activity involving some big machinery.
And there are several such projects planned for down the road. Here is an update from Shannon Cox, public information and marketing manager for the Public Works Department, City of Oklahoma City:
Hefner Road projects
1. Street widening (two lanes to four lanes) from just west of Kelley to west of Eastern Avenue is under construction. This project also will improve the Hefner and Kelley intersection with traffic signalizations and lane additions for left turns. Anticipated completion: January 2015.
2. Hefner from Broadway Extension to Midwest Boulevard (six miles — except Kelley to Eastern) was resurfaced by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation as part of a federally participated project that paid 80 percent of construction costs ($2.4 million federal funds). The city’s 20 percent share was about $600,000.
3. Hefner from Broadway Extension to Midwest Boulevard (except Kelley to Eastern) safety project to install guard rails at several locations is part of a federally participated project that pays 100 percent of the construction cots (estimated about $750,000). Project is in design and environmental clearing process. Transportation Department will bid and construct the project. Anticipated construction start: fall 2015.
Kelley Avenue projects
1. NE 23 to NE 50 (two miles). Pavement repair, resurfacing with asphalt and sidewalk on one side. Anticipated construction start: summer 2016.
2. NE 63 to east Wilshire Boulevard. Widen street from two to four lanes. Land acquisition is complete. Utility relocations will follow, including electrical transmission and distribution lines, among others. Utility clearance may take nine months to a year. Anticipated construction start: summer 2015.
3. E Wilshire to E Britton Road. Widen street from two to four lanes. Anticipated construction start: summer 2019.
Continue reading this story on the...