Among the best times to see the progress being made on a highway system is in the hours during the day when the roadway traffic count is down.
You can get a better look when there is less stress and you're not playing Dodge 'Em.
Such was the case recently when my son and I made a nighttime trip to Tulsa, using Interstate 44/
It gave us an opportunity to see the work being done on Oklahoma's
An obvious change on the Turner is smoother travel on a roadway that has had several surface repairs.
There also are noticeable differences in cash lanes at a couple of toll locations, such as around the Luther/
A couple of highway work vehicles were traveling in lanes closed to regular traffic, apparently checking on recent repair work.
But those locations were not lengthy and all vehicles — including several large trucks — were moving unimpaired.
There's plenty of work under way in south Tulsa and much to impress the average driver.
Areas with assistance
Some areas to note, with assistance from state Transportation Department staff:
• The westbound I-44 on-ramp from Lewis Avenue is closed. Officials advise motorists to use the on-ramps at Harvard Avenue or Peoria Avenue.
• The location of the westbound I-44 off-ramp to Peoria is shifted to the east (just past the Lewis Avenue junction). Follow the signs for the exit. And here's an important note on this one. If you miss the new exit, you'll have to cross the Arkansas River bridge and turn around at the U.S. 75 junction to get to the eastbound I-44 off-ramp to Peoria. You might want to try an alternate route. At the very least, officials say, plan extra travel time.
• Peoria is down to one lane in each direction at the junction with I-44. During normal traffic hours, expect delays. Here's another area you might want to avoid, choosing an alternate route, if possible.
• Troost Avenue and Trenton Avenue are closed at E Skelly Drive. That is south of I-44.
• The westbound I-44 off-ramp to Riverside Drive is closed. Officials recommend using the Peoria Avenue exit.
• The eastbound I-44 off-ramp to Riverside Drive and all lanes of westbound 51st Street between Lewis and Wheeling are closed permanently.
Note that if you're entering eastbound I-44 from north- or southbound-U.S. 75, you must yield to I-44 traffic.
Other areas to be aware of:
• The left lane of north- and southbound U.S. 75 is closed near 201st Street S for a bridge replacement.
• Officials say to use caution on I-44, Harvard Avenue, 51st Street and the frontage road.
• All westbound I-244 traffic over the Arkansas River is shifted to the eastbound bridge. Plan for extra travel time in this area.
Here are additional ramp closings (southwest corner of the Inner Dispersal Loop):
Westbound U.S. 64/SH 51 off-ramp to eastbound I-244/
The work will continue into 2013 in many of these areas, so be prepared. But think what it will be like when it's finished.
Enjoy your week and drive safely.