Traffic Talk: Work on Broadway Extension ramp is progressing
Don Gammill: Officials expect crews to finish the new ramp from the Broadway Extension to Interstate 44 by mid-July.
As one of the most popular roadways in the Oklahoma City metro area, the Broadway Extension/Centennial Expressway normally has times when motorists should expect heavy traffic.
Some mornings during rush hour, the southbound traffic on the three-mile stretch of the extension from Britton Road toward the downtown area flows deceptively smoothly.
But on other days, the flow moves at a considerably slower rate. And then, there are those days when it is at a crawl, with all lanes stacked up nearly the entire distance.
Believe it or not, it's progress. Crews are rebuilding the interchange that will smooth traffic flow in four directions. It will be done in phases. But the first one is nearing completion.
How many more months before parts of the southbound Interstate 235/westbound I-44 pathway are available? For example, is the current plan to wait until that entire phase is finished to open up some lanes and alleviate the extremely short merging area at the bottom of the ramp? Those lanes appear as if the only thing left to complete on them is road striping and removal of temporary barriers. The project is something to be proud of already, by the way! Almost daily — at least more than once a week — the progress is very visible.
It's extremely visible, Russell, from the dirt work to the new roadway, it's all shaping up nicely.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments