Trail Blazers upend Nuggets 97-80
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Wesley Matthews scored 14 of his 19 points during the second quarter and the Portland Trail Blazers beat the Denver Nuggets 97-80 Wednesday night.
LaMarcus Aldridge scored 14 points to help the Trail Blazers win in their home preseason debut. Matthews and Aldridge each hit 7 of 12 shots from the floor.
Victor Claver hit three 3-pointers and scored 13 points for Portland. Blazers guard Coby Karl scored 11 points in 21 minutes. Karl is the son of Denver coach George Karl.
Kenneth Faried had 17 points and 11 rebounds, while Andre Miller, Evan Fournier and Jordan Hamilton scored nine points each for Denver.
The Nuggets struggled from 3-point range, hitting 2 of 20 shots from behind the arc.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit