Trial begins for woman accused of driving around construction site, striking worker
Prosecutors allege Carla Marie Davis, 33, of Del City, OK, drove across two lawns to get around a cement truck blocking street despite commands to find an alternate route.
A trial is under way in the case of a Del City woman accused striking a worker with her sport utility vehicle and leaving the scene after jumping a curb and driving through two front yards to get around a construction site.
Carla Marie Davis, 33, is charged with leaving the scene of an injury accident and reckless driving, court records show.
Testimony in the case is expected to begin Tuesday.
Prosecutors allege Davis ignored the worker, who told her she could not drive around a cement truck blocking a street in front of a home at 1503 Brookdale Drive, where workers were pouring concrete about 8:15 a.m. on June 9, 2011.
Davis backed up, jumped the curb and drove through the yards of residences at 1508 and 1512 Brookdale Drive to go around the cement truck, striking the same worker with her SUV, police reported.
The worker, Teddy Rupe, was struck with the passenger side mirror and fender of the vehicle, a 2001 Ford Expedition, court records show.
Rupe, a heavy-equipment operator for the city of Del City, previously testified that he approached Davis' vehicle and told her she couldn't continue “on through,” according to a transcript from Davis's preliminary hearing.
“She said I couldn't block the street that way and I said, ‘Yes, ma'am, I can,'” Rupe testified.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 57337Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14801Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9259Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7518Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6644Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6577Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6568How to help tornado victims