BOSTON (AP) — A tribute to victims, survivors and first responders will be held on the anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings that killed three people and injured more than 260, race organizers announced Thursday.
The April 15 tribute at the Hynes Convention Center will be hosted jointly by Boston Mayor Martin Walsh and Gov. Deval Patrick in coordination with One Fund Boston, the charity set up to help victims, the Boston Athletic Association said.
"On April 15, we recall the courage, compassion, and commitment of our great city and its people," Walsh said in a statement. "Through this event, Boston again stands as one: paying tribute to all those affected by last year's events and once again showing the world that Boston's spirit of resiliency lives on."
The event will feature speakers representing families of those affected by the bombings, medical staff who treated patients, responding government agencies and civic leaders. It will conclude with a flag-raising ceremony and brief moment of silence.
"As a community, we were put to the ultimate test by the events at last year's Boston Marathon," Patrick said. "But we rose to the occasion: turning to each other, rather than against and showing the world what a strong community looks like. Though we all had our lives affected in profoundly different ways, this tribute will show the world again that we stand as one."
Prosecutors allege that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 20, and his older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, built and planted two pressure cooker bombs near the finish line of the marathon. Tamerlan Tsarnaev died following a shootout with police several days later.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty to 30 federal counts, including using a weapon of mass destruction. He faces the death penalty at trial, scheduled to start Nov. 3.
The 118th running of the Boston Marathon is set for April 21.