Tributes: Bob Martin was the voice of the 89ers and Chickasha High School
BACK IN THE DAY
The Northwest Classen High football team is 3-1, the Oklahoma City school's best start to a season since September 1971. Let's take a look at what the sports scene offered 41 Septembers ago:
*Retired New York Yankees great Mickey Mantle told The Dallas Morning News he would be interested, if asked, in managing the first-year Texas Rangers. The team would relocate to Arlington from Washington, beginning with the 1972 season. Mantle did not get the job.
*Rookie quarterback Archie Manning ran for a game-winning touchdown on the last play of the game as the New Orleans Saints trimmed the Los Angeles Rams 24-20 at Tulane Stadium. Peyton Manning (1976) and Eli Manning (1981) were not born yet.
*WKY-AM 930 broadcast OU football games. The Sooners played at Pittsburgh this week 41 years ago. Pregame coverage started with the Chuck Fairbanks Show. OU beat the Panthers, 55-29.
*Craig Morton replaced injured Roger Staubach at quarterback, leading Dallas to a 49-37 victory over Buffalo. The Cowboys' defense limited O.J. Simpson to 25 yards on 14 carries.
*The Northwest Knights of '71 were No. 12 in the Class 4A rankings.
*Teresa DeLarzelere of Tulsa won a fifth consecutive Women's Oklahoma State Championship golf tournament. DeLarzelere defeated Janet Miller of Broken Arrow in a one-hole playoff at Meadowbrook Country Club in Tulsa. DeLarzelere and Miller finished 36 holes with 157 scores. Miller went into the final round with a two-stroke lead over the defending champ.
*Kevin Akin of Oklahoma City is a replacement official working NFL games. Akin, who was on the crew for the Atlanta Falcons-Denver Broncos game, is the brother of former Oklahoma State and Putnam City North football standout Zac Akin. Kevin Akin's father, Harold, played at OSU and briefly for the San Diego Chargers.
*Oklahoma Baptist University took another step toward its first varsity football season since 1940. On Monday, pads popped and cleats kicked up dirt as the Bison began full-contact drills. The team will begin installing schemes on offense and defense; at 1 p.m. Oct. 6, Oklahoma Baptist will have an open-to-the-public scrimmage on the Shawnee university's campus. The team's first game is Aug. 31, 2013, against Southwestern of Winfield, Kan., at OBU's new stadium.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates