Tributes: Stanley Stanley Lee helped Northeast reach the Class 3A basketball finals in 1972

Lee averaged 15.1 points per game for the Vikings, who finished 26-2 and state runner-up. The General Motors employee died at age 59.
By Scott Munn Published: February 26, 2014

A farewell to people with Oklahoma ties who enjoyed the game day experience:

Stanley Lee, 59, of Oklahoma City earned a basketball scholarship to Texas Tech, where he earned a degree in physical education. He spent 30 years working for General Motors, where he stood tall among his co-workers. At 6-foot-7, Lee teamed with fellow starters Lawrence Wilson, Roy Burris, Russell Post and Clarence Lucky to help the Northeast High School basketball team reach the Class 3A state championship game in 1972. The No. 1-ranked Vikings entered the tournament at the Big House with a 24-1 record, their only loss coming against Tulsa Washington. Lee and Co. beat Guthrie and Okmulgee in the first-two rounds but lost a 64-59 title decision to an unbeaten Miami squad that received game-clinching free throws from future OU All-America wide receiver Tinker Owens. Lee finished the season averaging 15.1 points per game.

Curtis Richmond, 68, was a customer service manager for United Airlines in Houston. He grew up in Oklahoma, where he excelled in football, basketball and tennis in the 1960s at Shawnee High School. As a senior, Richmond was named Shawnee’s Athlete of the Year. He won state tennis championships in singles and doubles and compiled an 82-4 record as a high-schooler. Richmond then played tennis at Southeastern State University and was an NAIA All-American as well as the Oklahoma Collegiate Conference champion in singles and doubles. He was inducted into the school’s Athletics Hall of Fame and also the Missouri Valley/Oklahoma Tennis Hall of Fame.

John Langford, 88, of Oklahoma City was a member of the PGA for 66 years. He played in the PGA Championship eight times and had two top-10 finishes. Langford later played in the Senior PGA Championship as well as several local tournaments.

•Former Oklahoma wrestler Sid Terry died in Wichita, Kan., at age 75. Terry was a championship wrestler at Edmond High School and received a scholarship to OU. He lettered for the 1958, ’59 and ’60 seasons. Terry won the Big Eight championship at 157 pounds in 1960, the same season the Sooners won the national championship. Terry was a second-team All-American in 1959; that season, he had a landmark victory as a 167-pounder. He defeated previously unbeaten Bruce Campbell to help OU stun defending national champion Oklahoma State. After college, Terry was a flight instructor for the Air Force and worked in the insurance business.

Louis Arambula, 80, of Moore was a Golden Gloves boxing champion as a teenager. Arambula fought in the 126- and 135-pound divisions for the Oklahoma City Elks and Southside boxing clubs. He was a veteran of the Korean War and spent 37 years as an air traffic controller.

Danny Thurman, 68, of Sand Springs was an Army veteran who served during the Vietnam War. He would spend 22 years as a mechanic at Fred Jones Ford and used those wrenching skills in dirt car racing. Thurman owned and served as a crew chief for local super modified drivers such as D.E. Suggs, George Armstrong, Donnie Crawford and Herb Copeland. Thurman owned race cars that twice won points championships at Tulsa Speedway.