Try This: Banana Split
Yukon's Patti Dobelbower waited more than six decades to try her first banana split, and the Food Dude introduced her to it at Braum's.
Patti Dobelbower has spent more than six decades protecting her girlish figure, but thanks to an email she sent me several months ago, that task is about to get a whole lot tougher.
To Try This
If there's a food you've never tried but should have, or if there's something exotic you've always been afraid of, give me a shout. Email dcathey@
Shortly after the first “Try This” column ran, Dobelbower, 61, contacted me to say she'd never had a banana split.
With National Ice Cream Month upon us, it was high time she break her streak for super sundae futility. So, she agreed to meet at the Braum's minutes from her Yukon home.
Before meeting Dobelbower, I wondered what a sad path one must walk to avoid the ice cream equivalent of a home run. Turns out she has always just been diligent about maintaining her weight.
“I never much cared for ice cream, plus I always thought it was just so fattening,” she said.
Dobelbower said she preferred brownies or chocolate truffles, and the thought of bananas mixed with ice cream didn't appeal to her.
Now a grandmother, she had to adapt. A couple of years ago, she started buying mint chocolate ice cream, which edged her closer to the brink of the ice cream nirvana that is the banana split.
Dobelbower became an optician in 1976 and has continued in that capacity and as a contact lens technician ever since. She is semiretired, working one day a week at the office of Dr. Robert Cooper, which allowed her to meet me at Braum's, taking a break from the gardening that keeps her busy most of the time.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 82753Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 43754Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33000Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23187Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 22920Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8406Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8041Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman