Tulsa man shot and killed during arrest in Pryor
Will Perneau, 29, died about 2 a.m. Tuesday after he was shot in a shoot-out with an off-duty Salina police officer at the Days Inn in Pryor.
PRYOR — A Tulsa man died in a shoot-out with an off-duty Salina police officer early Tuesday, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation reports.
Will Perneau, 29, died about 2 a.m. at a Pryor motel, where the officer and a Mayes County deputy confronted him, OSBI spokeswoman Jessica Brown said.
The OSBI is investigating the incident.
The law officers were led to Perneau by two men they had arrested on a complaint of possession of controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute during a traffic stop in the front of the motel.
One of the men told the officers they were headed to meet Perneau and a woman at the Days Inn and Suites, 495 Mid America Drive.
When officers arrived, Perneau and an unidentified woman refused to answer the door so the officers had a hotel manager let them in. The woman was escorted out of the room, but Perneau refused to comply, Brown said.
She said Perneau refused to follow commands, so the officers took him to the ground and handcuffed him.
Perneau somehow obtained a weapon after being handcuffed and gunfire was exchanged, Brown said. Perneau was shot and died at the scene, but the officers were not injured, she said.
According to Tulsa County court records, Perneau had three suspended sentences. He pleaded guilty to a felony gun charge and a felony drug charge in 2007.
The names of the Salina police officer and the Mayes County deputy he was with were not released. The officer was riding with the deputy for training purposes. Both have been placed on administrative leave, pending the result of the investigation.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 51290Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14843Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9419Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7710Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7083Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6592Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6563Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes