Tulsa man drowns in Delaware County
Nelson A. Vasquez, 28, was swimming in the creek just upstream of the U.S. 412 bridge in Delaware County when he went under five to eight feet of water and didn't resurface, authorities said.
COLCORD — A Tulsa man drowned Wednesday in Flint Creek, authorities said.
About 1 p.m., Nelson A. Vasquez, 28, was swimming in the creek just upstream of the U.S. 412 bridge, about five miles south of Colcord in Delaware County, when he went under five to eight feet of water and didn't resurface, said Ed Fite, Oklahoma Scenic Rivers Commission administrator.
Other swimmers pulled Vasquez from the water about 10 to 20 minutes after he submerged and began CPR. He was taken to a hospital where he died, Fite said.
He was not wearing a life jacket.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims