In recent years, across the state of Oklahoma, conference play in high school sports has grown a bit out of fashion.
But you can count 12 Central Oklahoma high schools — across seven school districts — among the few that are trying to resurrect that fading trend.
On Monday, in a press release from the adjoining schools, it was announced that Deer Creek, Edmond Memorial, Edmond North, Edmond Santa Fe, Moore, Westmoore, Southmoore, Norman, Norman North, Stillwater, Mustang and Yukon will form the Central Oklahoma Athletic Conference (COAC), starting play in both the Varsity and Sub Varsity sports during the 2014-15 school year.
Here are the benefits, listed in the press release, that the schools feel will come with this partnership:
- Consistency and continuity of scheduling across Varsity and Sub Varsity male and female athletic programs.
- Guarantee of a set amount of athletic competitions across Varsity and Sub Varsity male and female athletic programs.
- Expansion of student athlete and coach recognition programs across Varsity and Sub Varsity male and female athletic programs.
- Shared commitment to hosting athletic events.
- Nurturing of long-‐standing school and district rivalries.
- A unified voice to OSSAA for Central Oklahoma Athletic Conference interests.