Copyright ©2010. The Associated Press. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
'Twilight,' 'Skyfall' remain top picks for fans
A Weinstein Co. release, "Killing Them Softly" averaged just $2,888 in 2,424 theaters, meager results compared to the "Twilight" finale's average of $4,344 in 4,008 cinemas over its third weekend.
Adapted from George V. Higgins' novel "Cogan's Trade," ''Killing Them Softly" stars Pitt as a gang enforcer on the trail of two small-time crooks who held up a mob-protected card game.
The weekend's other new wide release, LD Entertainment's horror tale "The Collection," also flopped at No. 10 with $3.4 million, averaging $2,430 in 1,403 theaters.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
1. "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 2," $17.4 million ($48.4 million international)
2. "Skyfall," $17 million.
3. "Lincoln," $13.51 million.
4. "Rise of the Guardians," $13.5 million ($40 million international).
5. "Life of Pi," $12 million ($21.5 million international).
6. "Wreck-It Ralph," $7.02 million ($1.5 million international).
7. "Killing Them Softly," $7 million.
8. "Red Dawn," $6.6 million.
9. "Flight," $4.5 million.
10. "The Collection," $3.4 million.
Universal and Focus are owned by NBC Universal, a unit of Comcast Corp.; Sony, Columbia, Sony Screen Gems and Sony Pictures Classics are units of Sony Corp.; Paramount is owned by Viacom Inc.; Disney, Pixar and Marvel are owned by The Walt Disney Co.; Miramax is owned by Filmyard Holdings LLC; 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight are owned by News Corp.; Warner Bros. and New Line are units of Time Warner Inc.; MGM is owned by a group of former creditors including Highland Capital, Anchorage Advisors and Carl Icahn; Lionsgate is owned by Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.; IFC is owned by AMC Networks Inc.; Rogue is owned by Relativity Media LLC.