Two defendants in the Carina Saunders homicide case make appearances in Oklahoma County District Court.
Jimmy Lee Massey Jr., 33, and Luis Enrique Ruiz appear in Oklahoma County court via video. Both are charged with first-degree murder.
Two men charged with first-degree murder in the torture killing of Carina Saunders made their initial court appearances in the case Tuesday, appearing by video from the Oklahoma County jail.
Videoview all videos
Feb 25Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater has filed...
Aug 15The state medical examiner released a copy of Carina...
Jul 23District attorney charges two men in death of woman whose...
Jul 10Bethany detectives identify a woman thought to have a...
Photoview all 18 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Jimmy Lee Massey Jr., 33, and Luis Enrique Ruiz, 37, appeared separately before Special Judge Russell Hall, who read the charges against them and denied bail. The next court appearance for both men is Aug. 9.
Prosecutors filed first-degree murder charges Monday against Ruiz and Massey in the killing of Saunders, the 19-year-old Mustang woman whose dismembered body was found in a duffel bag behind a Bethany grocery store in October 2011.
Ruiz beat Saunders, tied her to a table and tortured her by sawing off her left foot and then trying to cut off her right foot before the saw broke, a court affidavit shows.
Massey, while jailed on drug charges, shared details of the slaying with two detainees, telling the first detainee that he participated in the homicide, according to a probable cause affidavit filed with his murder charge.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments