Two Oklahomans die in Sunday wrecks
C.H. Betterton, 81, of Grove, and Patricia N. Russell, 55, of Enid, died in separate crashes Sunday, authorities said.
Two people died after wrecks Sunday, authorities said.
Patricia N. Russell, 55, Enid
About 5:50 p.m., Russell was a passenger in a sport utility vehicle driving south on E Maine Street in Enid when a car crashed into the vehicle as a high rate of speed as it was crossing 10th Street from a stop sign, Enid police Capt. Jack Morris said.
Russell died at a nearby hospital, he said.
The driver of the SUV was flown to OU Medical Center with head, neck and torso injuries.
The driver of the car, Teodoro Najera, 16, suffered minor injuries.
He was thought to be under the influence at the scene and was arrested on complaints of manslaughter and driving without a valid driver's license, Morris said.
C.H. Betterton, 81, Grove
Betterton was driving east Sunday morning on Interstate 40 near Mulberry in western Arkansas when he drifted across the median and into the tree line, striking several trees before the vehicle came to a rest, the Arkansas State Police reported.
Betterton died at the scene. State police are investigating the cause of the crash.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 83533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16617OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12334Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11110Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8849How to help tornado victims