U. S. Rep. James Lankford: Time to recommit ourselves to families
Fox News analyst Jonathan Morris suggested in the wake of our grief after the events in Connecticut that we should “double-down on love.” I agree.
NewsOK Related Articles
In Aurora, Colo., in July, a mentally unstable 24-year-old fired on moviegoers, some no older than my daughters. He stole the lives of 12 people and wounded 50. On Dec. 14, a mentally unstable 20-year-old opened fire on schoolchildren, teachers and administrators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. People from all backgrounds have manifested their darkest feelings through murder in our cities and in places like Columbine, Virginia Tech and the federal building in Oklahoma City.
While we know we will never sufficiently answer the “why” question, I think we can start to address the question, “How do we prevent this from happening again?”
I appreciated the president's poignant and heartfelt address from the Newtown vigil on Dec. 16. He posited that we need change in America, and I agree. Many Americans are already calling for increased federal gun control, more mental health program funding and other ideas for the anger epidemic that requires a national lifestyle change.
After a major national tragedy, it's natural for Congress to want to “do something.” I get it. I also have children in school. I understand the emotion of dropping your kids off at school after a school shooting, but it's essential that we “do something” to solve the problem, not just “do something.” We can't legislate away every depraved human behavior, but our families can take Morris' advice and start to fix the heart of the matter in the heart of our culture.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 36528Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32802Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32453Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8406Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5462OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3890Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3494College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals