U. S. Rep. James Lankford: Time to recommit ourselves to families
NewsOK Related Articles
As families dissolve, communities disperse and church congregations wane, Americans are increasingly isolated, and our children suffer most. Every day in the United States, 181 children are arrested for violent crimes and 383 children are arrested for drug abuse. Authorities report 2,383 children are abused or neglected. American married couples end up divorced, and only 40 percent of Americans attend church regularly.
How can we help? We can start by recommitting ourselves to our families. The holiday season is a great opportunity to reinvest in our family members, church community and volunteer organizations. Instead of waiting for Washington to develop solutions, let's show our children that real care starts at the dinner table, in the classroom and mostly from our quiet conversations with God.
Americans are too good to allow evil to dominate our culture, our schools and our families. We must turn fathers' hearts back to their children.
Lankford, R-Oklahoma City, is Oklahoma's 5th District congressman.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 22254Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17756Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12801Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10958Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10241Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9718Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8905OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures