Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
When introducing Fallin, Pam Pollard, outgoing chairman of the Oklahoma County Republican Party, asked the two-term congresswoman whether she was forgoing a third term to seek the governor’s office. “I’ve had to make some pretty tough decisions on behalf of our nation the last couple of years, but when it comes to making decisions about the future of Oklahoma and the leadership of Oklahoma and the governor of Oklahoma, my answer is yes,” Fallin said. Those in the crowd cheered and applauded, with many standing, after the former three-term lieutenant governor and two-term state representative made her statement. “I truly believe Oklahoma needs strong leadership, that Oklahoma needs a new voice in our state,” she said. Fallin, 54, told key supporters during a conference call Friday of her intentions to run for governor. She said today she intends to file paperwork Monday forming a gubernatorial campaign committee. None of her money remaining in her congressional campaign committee may be used for a state race. Fallin, the first woman and the first Republican to be elected Oklahoma’s lieutenant governor, said she will make a formal announcement in her bid to become the first woman governor in the state. She is the second candidate and the second woman to publicly announce plans to run for governor.
U.S. Rep Mary Fallin confirms decision to run for Oklahoma governor in 2010
DEL CITY – U.S. Rep. Mary Fallin answered the question most delegates to today’s Oklahoma County Republican Convention wanted to know: She is running for governor in 2010.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims