Share “UConn women rout Idaho 105-37 in NCAA...”

UConn women rout Idaho 105-37 in NCAA first round

Published on NewsOK Modified: March 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm •  Published: March 23, 2013

STORRS, Conn. (AP) — Idaho's players had grown up watching Connecticut on television and were anxious to find out how they stacked up to the third-ranked team in the nation.

They learned.

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis led six UConn players in double figures and the top-seeded Huskies routed the Vandals 105-37 on Saturday.

"We certainly got the full show," said Idaho coach Jon Newlee, whose team was making its first appearance in the NCAA tournament since 1985.

Mosqueda-Lewis finished with 22 points, all in the first half. Morgan Tuck had 18, Moriah Jefferson chipped in 16 and Kiah Stokes scored 14 points and grabbed 11 rebounds. The Huskies (30-4) advanced to the second round for the 20th straight time in their 25th consecutive tournament appearance.

"Today was perfect for getting our legs back, our momentum, our confidence," said center Stefanie Dolson, who finished with 10 points. "Having everyone be a part of it was definitely a good start."

Stacey Barr had 14 points for Idaho (17-16), which was playing its second NCAA tournament game ever after upsetting Seattle for the Western Athletic Conference title.

UConn led by as many as 74 in the second half before Idaho made five 3-pointers in the last 4 minutes, four from Barr.

That kept the Huskies for setting a record for biggest margin of victory ever in an NCAA tournament game. That belongs to Tennessee which beat North Carolina A&T by 74 points in 1994.

UConn had first-round wins of 71 points over Hampton in 2000 and 72 against Long Island in 2001.

"It's kind of nice not to be put in the record book for something like that," Barr said.

Connecticut put this one away early, opening the game with a 22-3 run and holding Idaho without a basket for more than 5 minutes.

The Huskies led 58-17 at the break, and it didn't get didn't get better for the Vandals after halftime. UConn stretched the lead to 69-17 on a 3-pointer by Kelly Faris. Kiah Stokes' jumper with more than 12 minutes to go, made it 78-18. The Vandals scored their first point of the second half on a free throw with 12:31 left.

Continue reading this story on the...