Ulta's 2Q results beat Wall Street's expectations
BOLINGBROOK, Ill. (AP) — Ulta Beauty's fiscal second-quarter net income climbed 46 percent, buoyed by new products and strong results from new stores. The performance beat Wall Street's view and the company gave a full-year earnings outlook above analysts' estimates.
The company, whose formal name is Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance Inc., reported late Thursday that it earned $35 million, or 54 cents per share, for the quarter ended July 28. A year ago it earned $23.9 million, or 38 cents per share.
Analysts predicted earnings of 51 cents per share, according to a FactSet poll.
Revenue increased 22 percent to $481.7 million from $394.6 million. Wall Street forecast $474.1 million.
Revenue at stores open at least 14 months rose 9.3 percent. This figure is a key gauge of a retailer's health because it excludes results from stores recently opened or closed.
Ulta anticipates third-quarter earnings of 54 cents to 56 cents per share on revenue between $494 million and $503 million.
The company said that it foresees fiscal 2012 earnings of $2.58 to $2.60 per share.
Analysts expect third-quarter earnings of 55 cents per share on revenue of $501.4 million and full-year earnings of $2.55 per share.
Ulta, based in Bolingbrook, Ill., had 489 stores in 45 states at quarter's end.
Its shares finished at $95.26 on Thursday. Its shares are near their high for the past year of $98.42 set in mid-June.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 101343Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13633Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10711Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 9528OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 8426Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7731How to help tornado victims
- 7199Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area